Go towards the Light

Image result for light
Light not lite
Figured I start with one of the most prevalent concepts in story especially fantasy...light

Light is bound deep into human story. The third line of Genesis shows us God's first creation...bacon...I mean light, yes light.

I'm not a theologian but I found this in The Qur'an and thought it was particularly compelling.  “The Messenger of Allah said: Place light in my heart, light in my tongue, light in my hearing, light in my sight, light above me, light below me, light on my right, light on my left, light in front of me, light behind me, place light in my soul, and make light abundant for me."

Light is one of those concepts that seems ingrained into the human psyche. Light is good. Without light there is no life. Light is everywhere and often seems to be at the beck and call of fantasy heroes

My favorite author uses the concept of light often. His works are probably some of the best examples of the use of light as a concept in fantasy. Light is incredibly important in Tolkien's works. Frodo calls on the light of EƤrendil (link) in his darkest moments. That light that came from the two trees of Valinor through the magnificent Silmarils. Light is at the very essence of Tolkien's world. The whole First Age of Middle Earth is focused on light. The light from the Trees of Valinor imbued into the Silmarils caused the conflict in the Silmarillion and the eventual end of Belariand

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to comment. Constructive criticism is welcome

Next time...bom bom booooooomm...Darkness


Comments